Surname Saturday: Boss

Today's surname study connects to the family with my wife's eighth great grandmother, Barbara Boss.  As with several other surname posts so far, I only know one person in my research with this surname.  Here's what I do know...

Barbara Boss was born in 1632 in Sigriswil, Switzerland.  She married circa 1650 to Hans Amstutz (b. 1628; d. 1688, both in Sigriswil), and together they had eight children: Jacob Amstutz (M; b. 1651), Ulrich Amstutz (M; b. 1654; d. young), Hans Amstutz (M; b. 3 Jan 1660), Ulrich Amstutz (M; b. Dec 1663; m. 11 May 1686 Anna Buetschi; m. 6 Oct 1692 Anna Racheter; d. 1725), Christen Amstutz (M; b. 1 Sep 1666), Magdalena Amstutz (F; b. 1669), Verena Amstutz (F; b. 1669) and Peter Amstutz (M; b. 4 May 1673).  Barbara died in 1680 in Sigriswil.  I have not found any information on her parents yet.  Ancestral File has an entry for Barbara Boss (AFN: 1XTC-Q0T) born in 1631 in Merligen, Sigriswil, Switzerland, but as she is listed there as dieing in 1697 in Bern and seeing the number of people that I already know about who were named Hans or Ulrich Amstutz, I have my doubts and conclude so far that this was a different woman.

As with other lines that we've examined from Sigriswil, the next step for research on this line will be to learn more about Sigriswil and the surrounding areas.  There were several generations of various family names that were born, lived and died in Sigriswil, so it's pretty clear that I'll need to learn more about the community.

No comments: