More information on the Rice line from 1870

Earlier this week I learned that my local public library allows access to Heritage Quest through my library’s website.  It originally wouldn’t let me log in and I had to visit my local library branch to learn that my card had been expired (probably since I haven’t had a chance to use it for some time).  A few minutes later I had a new card and could log in through the website again.

So today I was looking around trying to find some new information on several lines.  I had confirmed several facts assertions that I already had in my database through resources that I was able to access there dating to as early as 1888.  But when I looked at the family of my 3rd great grandparents Jonathan Napoleon Bonaparte Rice (b. 4 March 1823; d. 1877) and Narcissus Ann McCollum (b. 1825; d. 1883), the 1870 U.S. census showed me some details that I didn’t know yet.  Here’s an extract from page 15 for Richland Township, Fountain County, Indiana, on 25 August 1870:

Jonathan-Rice,-1870-US-census

The entry here shows:

Jonathan A. Rice (M, age 47, farmer, born in Kentucky)
Ann Rice (F, age 47, housewife, born in Kentucky)
Samuel Rice (M, age 23, farmer, born in Indiana)
Mary Rice (F, age 20, born in Indiana)
Isaac Rice (F, age 17, born in Indiana)
Jonathan Rice (M, age 13, born in Indiana)
Margaret Rice (F, age 10, born in Indiana)
Alvessa Rice (F, age 4, born in Indiana)

What’s new to me with this data are the ages of five of the six children listed and the location of the family.  Before adding this record into my database, I had the family listed as follows:

Father: Jonathan Napoleon Bonaparte Rice (M; b. 4 March 1823, Waveland, Montgomery Co., Indiana; d. 27 Dec 1872 or 1877)
Mother: Narcissus Ann McCollum (F; b. 1825; d. 1883)
Daughter: Susan Rice
Daughter: Wilmetta Rice
Son: William Rice
Son: Washington Rice
Daughter: Katherine Rice
Son: Samuel Rice
Daughter: Mary Rice
Son: Isaac Rice
Son: Jonathan Rice (M; b. 6 or 8 March 1857, near Newton, Fountain Co., Indiana; d. 29 Sep 1938, Linden, Montgomery Co., Indiana; bu. Linden, Montgomery Co., Indiana)
Daughter: Margaret Rice
Child: Vessa Rice

So now I can add some birth information for five of the children: Samuel (M; b. 1847, Indiana), Mary (F; b. 1850, Indiana), Isaac (M; b. 1853, Indiana), Margaret (F; b. 1860, Indiana) and Alvessa/Vessa (F; b. 1866, Indiana).  The birth years for both Jonathans correlates with data that I had already found, but the mother’s birth date does not; more data sources should help narrow down the correct date for her.  Plus, I’m still looking for information on the other five children: Susan, Wilmetta, William, Washington and Katherine.

It’s also interesting that the elder Jonathan and Ann were both listed as being born in Kentucky instead of Indiana.  However, my database currently lists Jonathan N. B.’s father as being born in Henry County, Kentucky, so it is plausible.  So my next steps will be to find this family in other census enumerations and to look back into the 1850, 1840 and 1830 censuses for Jonathan’s parents in Kentucky.


Sources:

  • 1860 U.S. census, Fountain County, Indiana, population schedule, Newtown post office, p 64, dwelling 492, household 464, J. N. B. Rice household; digital images, Footnote.com (http://www.footnote.com/image/#37816112 : accessed 2 July 2010).
  • 1870 U.S. census, Fountain County, Indiana, population schedule, Richland Township, page 15, dwelling 111, family 110, Jonathan Rice household; digital images, Heritage Quest (http://persi.heritagequestonline.com : accessed 26 February 2012).
  • Ancestral File, version 4.19, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
  • Jonathan B. Rice birth, International Genealogical Index [IGI] (Salt Lake City: Family History Library, 1999), North American region; citing FHL microfilm 452903, page 1, ref 28808.
  • William Rice (descendancy chart, undated), photocopy privately held by Martha Montgomery, [address for private use].
  • William M. Rice birth, International Genealogical Index [IGI] (Salt Lake City: Family History Library, 1999), North American region; citing FHL microfilm 1903721.

2 comments:

DwydeSchrude said...

Is this blog active? I can share some information on this family

Sean said...

Hi there! I've resuscitated the blog in the last couple months. I am active again, but might take a little bit to answer. The last few weeks have been very busy at work. I happened to be at the computer when your comment came in today.