Surname Saturday: Campbell

So we reach another Saturday and that means another surname study.  We cycle back to my own ancestry again with a line where I only know my second great grandmother, Jane Neal Campbell.

Jane was born either in 1850, or (according to the 1880 U.S. census) 1858, in Indiana.  Her birth was probably in Bloomington, Indiana, but I have yet to fully verify this.  Circa 1878, she married James M. Brown (b. circa 1853 in Bloomington, Indiana).  James and Jane are listed in the 1880 census in Marion, Monroe County, Indiana with the three children that I know of (Minta, Charles and Nancy) and a boarder named John Thacker.  This census record indicates that Jane's father was born in Ireland, but I haven't found anything about him yet.  Jane died in 1935.

As has become my usual practice when preparing these Surname Saturday posts, I took a quick look at a few online resources to see if I could find anything further on the family.  Jane is included in Ancestral File as number 1CMH-BJT and James is also there as number 1CMH-BHM, but these references are far from primary sources.  I didn't see anything other than the 1880 census record in Beta FamilySearch.  The next steps that I plan to take on researching this line are to see if either James or Jane were issued social security numbers.  Since Jane died in 1935, it is quite possible that there might be more information there.  I'm not so certain about looking for county histories for information on this family as the census indicates that Jane's father was from Ireland and James's father was from South Carolina.  So, beyond that, I'll spend some more time searching through vital records for Indiana to see if I can find their parents' names and further isolate where they came from.

No comments: