Wordless Wednesday, but with a few words...

Okay, so this post isn't strictly about someone with a connection to the family lines I'm currently researching.  But, as I've seen mentioned in other genealogy publications, the history of a building can be just as interesting to research as the family that used it.  I'm always fascinated when I look at historical buildings around me to find evidence of previous tenants.  This building on State Street here in Madison has always been one of my favorites because of the visible history in the storefront.  But, there's more history to this building beyond the coal company offices.  According to the Wisconsin Historical Society, this building was originally built in 1857 as the home of Madison Fire Engine Company #2.  A filing with the City of Madison for landmark status for this building has a more complete history of the structure.  It mentions that the Castle & Doyle Coal façade was added in 1921.  The building now houses one of State Street's many arts and gifts stores.  I haven't been inside the current store yet, but always take a moment to look at this building when I pass it.

No comments: